Orientation in the library, registration, book loan, library rooms and services
What is BME OMIKK?
BME OMIKK is the National Technical Information Centre and Library, the Library of the Budapest University of Technology and Economics.
As a BME student, one can access the greatest technical literature in the country thanks to hundreds of textbooks, lecture notes, various scientific works and periodicals. One can find also centuries-old book rarities, fiction and popular science literature, a wide range of publications like foreign language books and cookbooks. There are not only printed books but also Hungarian and foreign language e-books and e-periodicals, pictures and videos with home access.
BME OMIKK is a public library and can visit anyone, she/he can read the books placed in the shelves and periodicals. However, in order to be able to use the library’s services, one must register.
A BME students can register via Neptun for free. Search for this request: 701 OMIKK Declaration of Registration. In order to be able to use all the services, a reader’s card is necessary that will be issued in the library. The reader’s card has a one-time charge.
Free services for BME students:
- Use of reading rooms and our collection consisting of nearly half a million books.
- Access to electronic databases
- Studying in groups in a reading room
- Information and consultation: literature research and information retrieval
- Book reservation and priority processing of items
- Computers and wifi (Eduroam)
Services only for registered and fee-paying members:
On loan services
- Only registered members holding a reader’s card can borrow books in person at the circulation desk or at the SelfCheck self-service terminal or SmartLock self-loan machine.
- Students can borrow maximum 10 books for either 2 or 4 weeks.
- You can request books in advance.
- The loan period can be renewed by 5 times in the reader’s online profile, by e-mail or phone, or in person.
- A reminder will be sent 3 days before the expiration date via Neptun.
- After the expiration date one must pay an overdue charge: 50 HUF/day/a book.
- If the required book is on loan, you can reserve it.
- You can return books either in person at the circulation desk or by throwing them in the return box placed in Building K.
Online catalogue can be found in each reading room of the library. Online catalogue is a service that helps you to find books easily by clicking on them. The catalogue will show the availability of the items, where to find them, and whether they can be borrowed or used only in the reading rooms.
Searching books Reading areas
There are 4 reading rooms: Textbooks Reading Room (TKO), Main Reading Room (NOLV), Technology and Natural Sciences Reading Room (MSZO), Economics and Social Sciences Reading Room (GTO), and 3 community areas: computer room (ground floor 1), community room on the ground floor nr. 2, community room on the first room (Building K, mezzanine 51) .
The library is open between 8 am and 8 pm on weekdays. However, during the exam period the library welcomes students with an extended opening hour: the designated reading rooms are open till 10 pm.
Central Circulation, Main Reading Room, Technology and Natural Sciences Reading Room, Community areas
8 am - 8 pm
Economics and Social Sciences Reading Room
8 am - 7:30 pm
Textbooks Reading Room, Community Room
9 am - 8 pm
You can find more information on the library’s services on our website (www.omikk.bme.hu/en), or we answer your questions in person.